I am a rather simple chick. I have no illusions of grandeur and my wishes are verging on the dull and darn right boring.
- I wish the Alien would listen to me the first time I say something (Not a difficult request surely?)
- I wish my cats and dog would stop shedding hair everywhere (I am drowning in their hair, people. HELP!)
- I wish alcohol didn’t give me a hangover (How can something so delightful be so punishing? It’s cruel I tell you.)
- I wish TV adverts weren’t so bloody loud (They are at least 1000 decibels louder than the programme you just fell asleep to.)
- I wish women could stand together and force feminine hygiene companies to bring down the prices of sanitary towels/tampons (Come on, it’s a rip off. I expect to see cotton wool prices after gold and oil prices on business news. It is clearly a rare commodity)
When it comes to my birthday I am therefore totally cool with just a well-worded card or an e-mail or a phone call. No mess, no fuss required. I am over 40 remember. As long as Chicken Man and the Alien remember to give me an extra hug and kiss (and exempt me from cooking dinner) I am a happy camper.
We have a no-gift policy in our family. One of my brothers does not conform to this policy however and, together with his wife, always gets me the most apt and amazing gift. I was nursing the last fumes in my perfume bottle and VOILA – they gave me perfume for Christmas. I was growing crow’s feet like ostrich feet around my eyes squinting against the Durban sun and VOILA – they gave me sunglasses. So it goes on...
This year they gave me something that I have wanted since the product first hit the market. My obsession for reading has never been a secret. So, when I opened their gift to me last night, I could not contain my tears of gratitude. I have a Kindle!
What more can I say? A fantasy comes true. I’ll ignore the cat and dog hairs and pay full price for tampons as I lose myself in my love for the written word on my new toy. Thank you Herman and Michaela.
|My joy cannot really be captured by Kodak but thank you Vernon for sending me this pic.|