Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Perfume and Pompoms


Without starting to sound like a gardening blog, considering my Jasmine post, I love the perfume that some plants have.  "Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow" trees emit the most glorious smell.  I have never had any luck with roses but if one has the patience to adhere to their long list of fiddly and fanciful requirements – roses will bless you with their beautiful scent.
One of the many Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow trees in my  jungle, umm, garden.

I have this ugly, messy, unruly plant growing like a weed in my garden.  For 11 out of 12 months they serve no purpose except as privacy from our neighbours who are so cool we don’t really need privacy from them.  They also drop copious amounts of large, elongated, shrivelled leaves. (The plants – not the neighbours.  Really!)  I have no clue what they are called – their Latin, biological and common name all elude me.)

What is so special about “plant with no name” is that the ugly brown clumps at the end of their stalks turn into white laced pompoms and drenched the air with a powerful aroma that can be smelt for miles.  The smell permeates every inch of the house and the garden.  This only lasts a couple of weeks but I look forward to those 2 weeks every year.  The perfume is so potent that one could almost get a headache from it. 
They look like Lamingtons, don't they?

I am so grateful that these “weeds” grow so prolifically in my garden.  


Please come and visit me one evening (they only give off their precious aroma at night) in January/February and allow the glorious perfume to uplift you. 

If you know what they are called – I’ll give you a glass of wine.  Fair trade?

1 comment:

  1. I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often.
    Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Great work!

    Also visit my web-site :: Jackpot 6000 *http://wiki.uni-duisburg-essen.de/dgd/index.php/Benutzer_Diskussion:AutumnCla*

    ReplyDelete